Impress your friends at your next potluck with this spicy teacake with a decadent cream cheese icing
You Will Need
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the base and sides of a 9 x 12 in (30 x 20 cm) baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Stir teabags, golden syrup and fresh ginger into 1 cup (250mL) of boiling water in a heat-proof mixing bowl and let steep for 3 minutes. Remove teabags, squeezing out excess liquid, and discard.
- In a second mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa, ground ginger and mixed spice.
- Place eggs and sugar in a third mixing bowl and whisk with a hand mixer for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture has lightened. Whisk in oil until fully combined, followed by the tea mixture.
- Make a well in dry ingredients. Pour in wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined (be careful not to overmix). Pour batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back to a light touch. Remove from heat and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
For frosting: While the cake is baking, place frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat until smooth and fully combined. Spread frosting over fully cooled cake and scatter with chopped ginger.